ReCALL – Call for Papers, Special Issue – May 2025
Linda Bradley (University of Gothenburg, Sweden)
Nicolas Guichon (Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada)
Agnes Kukulska-Hulme (The Open University, UK)
- This special issue of ReCALL addresses an area in great need of further research and dissemination: the intersection of migration, language learning, and information technology, encompassing digital literacy (Norlund Shaswar, 2022; Bradley & Al-Sabbagh, 2022; Kukulska-Hulme, 2019), social media (D’Agostino & Mocciaro, 2021), as well as uses of digital tools for language learning and cultural learning (Eilola & Lilja, 2021).
- A vital aspect for anyone of migration or refugee background is to be able to use digital technologies in a purposeful, safe, and also critical way. Recent rapid growth in the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and augmented/virtual reality (XR) in digital systems and online interactions presents new complexities, opportunities and challenges. By shedding light on these issues, we seek to deepen our understanding of the challenges and opportunities faced by migrants and refugees, particularly in relation to language learning and digital empowerment (Tammelin-Laine et al., 2020).
- As a first step, we invite expressions of interest for submissions to this special issue. Please send your one-page expression of interest (300-350 word abstract plus references) to the Guest Editors (ReCALL2025special@gmail.com) for informal feedback.
- We invite contributions from scholars who are focusing on topics related to migration or refugee studies connected to use of technology in relation to language teaching and learning in the context of acquisition or deployment of digital literacies. We welcome empirical and conceptual contributions that are clearly grounded in CALL and relate to migrants’ and refugees’ digital literacies, typically addressing topics including but not limited to:
- Technology-mediated formal and informal language learning
- Digital challenges and potential empowerment through digital literacies
- Digital literacies, practices, competences and identities
- Work-integrated professional language learning connected to digital literacies
- Foreign or second language learning and development in technology-enhanced learning environments
- Cultural perspectives on digital literacies and language learning Digital inclusion and exclusion in language learning.
- Bradley, L., & Al-Sabbagh, K.-L. (2022) Mobile language learning designs and contexts for newly arrived migrants. Australian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 5(3), 1–20. https://doi.org/10.29140/ajal.v5n3.53si5
- D’Agostino, M., & Mocciaro, E. (2021) Literacy and literacy practices: Plurilingual connected migrants and emerging literacy. Journal of Second Language Writing, 51, 100792. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2021.100792
- Eilola, L. E., & Lilja, N. S. (2021) The smartphone as a personal cognitive artifact supporting participation in interaction. Modern Language Journal, 105(1), 294–316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2021.100792
- Kukulska-Hulme, A. (2019) Mobile language learning innovation inspired by migrants. Journal of Learning for Development, 6(2), 116–129. https://doi.org/10.56059/jl4d.v6i2.349
- Norlund Shaswar, A. (2022) Digital literacy practices in everyday life and in the adult L2 classroom: The case of basic literacy education in Swedish. In Levine, G. S. & Mallows, D. (eds.), Language learning of adult migrants in Europe (pp. 171-195). Cham: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-79237-4_8
- Tammelin-Laine, T., Vaarala, H., Savolainen, J., & Bogdanoff, M. (2020) Technology-supported L2 learning in LESLLA classes: Two case studies from Finland. In Pettitt, N., Farrelly, R. & Elson, A. (eds.), Literacy education and second language learning for adults (LESLLA): Bridging theory and practice (pp. 86–105). Jyväskylä: LESLLA.
- 30th September 2023: Call for papers
- 31st December 2023: Deadline for submitting an expression of interest
- 30th March 2024: Deadline for submission of papers
- 30th January 2025: Deadline for finalizing complete manuscript
- 1st May 2025: Publication
Instructions for authors
- To submit your expression of interest, or for any questions relating specifically to the special issue and its content, please contact ReCALL2025special@gmail.com.
For more information: https://www.cambridge.org/…/call-for-papers-special…